Wednesday, March 6, 2019

In the Beginning....

On The Road Again is my new blog about my upcoming trip across the US. This trip will focus on heading south in order to visit Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Then it will focus on visiting 8 national parks in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.  For this, as with my past trips, I will be driving my Prius and camping. This trip is different, however, because I will be sleeping in my car. I will not be pitching a tent but using what I refer to as a 'tentlet'. My tentlet is made by TailVeil and fits on the raised back hatch of the Prius. The tentlet slips over the hatch and fits snugly around the rear area of the car, excluding the tailpipe. It has bug netting, zippered doors and a rainfly. Because I will be sleeping in my car I will make cardboard cutouts to block all of the windows to give me privacy and also sew bug netting covers for my windows. The Prius has two batteries because it is a hybrid which enables me to run the A/C or heater all night. The 12 volt battery is in the rear so I can tap into that to run my 12 volt cooler. The rear seat on a Prius divides so I can fold one side. By moving the front seat all the way forward and filling in the gap behind, I can have a full 75 inch long mat laid out. The mattress I am using is a tri-fold design 75 by 27 inches; narrower than a single bed but just as long for my tootsies.
My tent let
I have read the process of planning a trip is actually the best part of a trip. I am not sure I agree with that but planning this trip took a great deal of work but was so exciting. My home grown library includes a number of resources I used to research and write my itinerary. I used Google and Google maps as well as AAA maps and tour books. Another invaluable resource was a publication called "Next Exit."  It lists all of the services located at every exit on the entire interstate system.  I also used "1000 Places to See in the US Before You Die," "Scenic Byways," "Atlas Obscura," a national parks guide, state parks guide and a camping guide. Particularly important was to study each destination in order to determine the number of days necessary to adequately cover the highlights.  I also wanted to limit the amount of driving I did in any given day. Google Maps was invaluable in determining that.
Kick off day is April 1, with an arrival home on June 8th. Between now and April 1st, I have check lists galore to finish in preparation. There are myriad things that need to be done in order to leave my house and cat with a kind friend who will house and cat sit. Then there is construction of the window covers, bug netting and table as well as things such as updating my GPS units. I travel with my car GPS to see the whole picture but also use a Garmin for driving directions. My goal is to travel light and simply. I want to cut down on what I bring and simplify my daily routine. Some of the national parks are very remote with services and appropriate camping locations scarce. Some parks do not take reservations and some are already reserved. I am hoping with my current set up I will be extremely flexible because my bed is already laid out in my car!
To be continued. 

2 comments:

  1. C- I want to be you when I grow up! God speed you on your journey and enjoy each day's adventure

    ReplyDelete